Certification Product Manager (Austin, TX or Santa Clara, CA)
Wi-Fi Alliance is the network of companies that brings you Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi Alliance staff work with cutting edge technology in a dynamic and inspiring work culture that supports a strong work/life balance, new opportunities, and individual growth. Regardless of discipline, all who work at Wi-Fi Alliance contribute to delivering the terrific user experience for which Wi-Fi is known.
Wi-Fi Alliance seeks a Certification Product Manager to guide a product team that is charged with the vision and feature roadmap for Wi-Fi Alliance’s certification management system, which includes a cloud-based portal, integration with Wi-Fi Alliance test tools, and integration with public resources, such as the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED product finder. They will advance new ideas that improve member’s certification experience and drive increased efficiency of Wi-Fi Alliance operations based on contact with customers and internal stakeholders.
The Certification Product Manager should be prepared to make decisions with imperfect information, know how to lead without authority, and be comfortable managing chaos, ambiguity, and complexity. They are not afraid to pivot, when needed. They must possess a unique blend of business and technical acumen that includes a big-picture vision and the drive to make that vision a reality. They must also enjoy spending time in the market to understand market problems and finding innovative solutions.
Communications skills are key to success in this role. The Certification Product Manager will work with a business analyst and development leads to define product release requirements based on market problems. They will be a subject matter expert, participating in ad hoc meetings as well as being heavily involved in operations. Their duties will include tactical functions within Agile methodologies of Scrum for feature development and Kanban for Production Support. They will also have Production Support responsibilities, such as triaging items and doing an initial level of troubleshooting in certain scenarios. In short, they must be prepared to communicate with all areas of the company and ecosystem.
The Certification Product Manager reports to the Director of Product Management. He/she is an accomplished team player, adept at managing relationships, collaborating and influencing across a variety of organizational functions. They will translate the company’s high-level vision and goals into actionable tasks. In addition, they will advance new ideas based on contact with customers, prospects, and stakeholders within the Wi-Fi ecosystem. They will work with the best technical and marketing talent in Wi-Fi Alliance member companies, driving industry-visible efforts that support the mission of connecting everyone and everything, everywhere.
- Responsible for the product vision and feature roadmap for Wi-Fi Alliance’s certification management system
- Gather information from internal stakeholders and customers, both directly and indirectly
- Collaborate with Wi-Fi Alliance test tool and product finder product owners on joint initiatives
- Get buy-in from executive stakeholders
- Create, organize, and manage user stories and requirements for current and future products based on the market’s problems to drive new product definition.
- Provide strategic management and direct tactical execution to achieve product goals
- Lead and participate in new feature definition
- Incorporate best practices for user interface and user experience
- Lead release planning with business analyst and development team leads
- Participate in Scrum ceremonies with the development team
- Drive strong communications across the company and ensure that dependent internal teams, such as Operations, Support, and Member Success, are well-equipped to perform their jobs
- Run production support processes to include holding triage meetings, ensuring development tickets are properly groomed, and performing some level 1 and level 2 analysis
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical discipline
- Minimum of five (5) years of product management experiences
- Track record of successful product ideation, commercialization, and go-to-market
- Deep understanding of technical and commercial practices in wireless protocol tesing a strong plus
- Track record of using qualitative and quantitative data to prioritize and drive decision-making
- Proficient in productivity applications such as Microsoft Office
- Comfortable using collaboration and CRM tools such as Microsoft Teams, JIRA, Confluence, and Salesforce
- Strong experience with best practice agile development, specifically Scrum and Kanban, and lean startup principles
Skills and Behaviors
- Tech savvy, energetic and passionate about building products
- Results-oriented with ability to deliver results on time, consistently meeting or exceeding goals
- Strong collaboration, critical thinking and business strategy skills
- High aptitude for listening and understanding customer/market problems and the ability to help formulate solutions
- Metrics-driven: Strong analytical and synthesis skills are a must, including the ability to absorb and process data into actionable information
- Curious and comfortable holding professional conversations with our target buyers and users
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including speaking to public or senior audiences
- Excellent people and management skills to interact with colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, influencing, prioritization, decision-making and conflict resolution skills
- Flexible to handle rapid change
- Results-oriented and embraces small company environment (no job too big or too small)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with multiple international cultures
- Ability to travel, including internationally, (25%)
About Wi-Fi Alliance® | www.wi-fi.org
Wi-Fi Alliance® is the worldwide network of companies that brings you Wi-Fi®. Members of our collaboration forum come together from across the Wi-Fi ecosystem with the shared vision to connect everyone and everything, everywhere, while providing the best possible user experience. Since 2000, Wi-Fi Alliance has completed more than 65,000 Wi-Fi certifications. The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ seal of approval designates products with proven interoperability, backward compatibility, and the highest industry-standard security protections in place. Today, Wi-Fi carries more than half of the internet’s traffic in an ever-expanding variety of applications. Wi-Fi Alliance continues to drive the adoption and evolution of Wi-Fi, which billions of people rely on every day.