Sr. Technical Editor/Writer (Austin, TX)
Wi-Fi Alliance is a global trade organization that prizes collaboration. Wi-Fi Alliance staff work with cutting edge technology in a dynamic and inspiring work culture that supports a strong work/life balance, new opportunities, and individual growth. Regardless of discipline, all who work at Wi-Fi Alliance contribute to delivering the terrific user experience for which Wi-Fi is known.
Wi-Fi Alliance seeks an experienced Sr. Technical Editor/Writer who will be responsible for editing various types of technical documentation, including test plans, technical speciications, user guides, references, manuals and training materials He/she will work with the best technical and marketing talent in Wi-Fi Alliance member companies, driving industry-visible efforts that support the mission of connecting everyone and everything, everywhere.
- Review and edit technical specifications, test plans, release notes and other technical documents for industry terminology, Wi-Fi Alliance style and brand guidelines
- Create user documentation, getting-started guides and training guides as needed to support Wi-Fi Alliance products and services
- Resource, develop and maintain process guideline documents
- Provide quality end-user documentation in a timely manner. Quality documentation is defined as accurate, appropriate, predictable, readable, complete, usable, effective, and timely
- Edit documents to meet Wi-Fi Alliance style guide
- Work with subject matter experts, members, system engineers, product marketing, and software developers to ensure that Wi-Fi Alliance documentation is industry-standard, usable, technically accurate, and highest quality
- Initiate document reviews, coordinate comments from multiple reviewers, and incorporate feedback into the source documents
- Manage the scheduling of all documentation and stakeholder reviews so that critical deadlines are met
- Release documents following final approval
- Provide updates and different editions of Wi-Fi Alliance documentation as needed to meet product and schedule requirements
- Ensure that the technical language used in the documentation is consistent and easy to understand by technical and non-technical personnel
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Work independently as the sole technical writer, as well as part of cross-functional product teams
- Develop and maintain usable, industry-standard MS Word style sheets and templates
- Develop methods to improve document usability and train Wi-Fi Alliance staff as needed
- Develop and maintain documentation processes and standards
- 5-8 years’ experience editing highly technical documentation
- Networking industry experience preferred
- Technical degree or experience preferred
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Incorporate input/feedback from stakeholders across various geographic regions worldwide.
- Excellent communication skills (interpersonal and writing)
- Ability to prioritize among competing demands and achieve success with aggressive timelines and limited resources.
- Standards body experience such as Wi-Fi Alliance, WiGig, Bluetooth SIG, or IEEE is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Visio, Adobe Acrobat. Other document authoring tools a plus.
- Wi-Fi experience is a plus
- Proficiency with desktop publishing required and online a plus
Skills and Behaviors
Excellent written and verbal communications skills, demonstrated proficiency in addressing international audiences
Proven success working in dispersed, cross-functional, and international (time-shifted) teams
Bachelor’s degree in related field
Competitive compensation and benchmark benefits package, including 100% employee paid healthcare premiums, 401K matching, generous PTO, and fitness allowance. Wi-Fi Alliance staff travel all over the world to engage with members, partners, and government – a unique opportunity to gain international experience and witness the impact of Wi-Fi.
If you have the talent and skills to be incredibly successful as a Sr. Technical Editor and as a member of our team, we want to hear from you. To be considered for this role, please forward your resume and a cover letter outlining your interest, including your salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is located in Austin, TX, no relocation is available. To learn more about Wi-Fi Alliance, please visit our website at www.wi-fi.org. Wi-Fi Alliance participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
About Wi-Fi Alliance®
Wi-Fi Alliance® is the worldwide network of companies that brings you Wi-Fi®. Members of our collaboration forum come together from across the Wi-Fi ecosystem with the shared vision to connect everyone and everything, everywhere, while providing the best possible user experience. Since 2000, Wi-Fi Alliance has completed more than 50,000 Wi-Fi certifications. The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ seal of approval designates products with proven interoperability, backward compatibility, and the highest industry-standard security protections in place. Today, Wi-Fi carries more than half of the internet’s traffic in an ever-expanding variety of applications. Wi-Fi Alliance continues to drive the adoption and evolution of Wi-Fi, which billions of people rely on every day.