Product Manager (Austin, TX)
Wi-Fi Alliance is the network of companies that brings you Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi Alliance staff work with cutting edge technology in a dynamic and inspiring work culture that supports a strong work/life balance, new opportunities, and individual growth. Regardless of discipline, all who work at Wi-Fi Alliance contribute to delivering the terrific user experience for which Wi-Fi is known.
Wi-Fi Alliance seeks an energetic Product Manager to guide a product team that is charged with the contribution of test and certification products to the Wi-Fi Alliance Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ business, building new products, and increasing the contribution of existing products. They will set and evolve product strategy, prioritize features, build consensus, and coordinate product schedules with engineering teammates.
The Product Manager should be prepared to make decisions with imperfect information, know how to lead without authority, and be comfortable managing chaos, ambiguity, and complexity. They are not afraid to pivot when needed. They must possess a unique blend of business and technical acumen that includes a big-picture vision and the drive to make that vision a reality. They must also enjoy spending time in the market to understand market problems and finding innovative solutions for the broader market.
Communications skills are key to success in this role. The Product Manager will work with a development counterpart to define product release requirements based on market problems. They will work with product marketing and marketing communications to help define the go-to-market strategy by providing key product and market insights. They will also serve as the internal and external evangelist for their product offering, occasionally working to support the sales team and key customers. In short, they must be prepared to communicate with all areas of the company and ecosystem.
The Product Manager reports to the Vice President of Marketing. He/she is an accomplished team player, adept at managing relationships, collaborating and influencing across a variety of organizational functions. They will translate the company’s high-level vision and goals into actionable tasks. In addition, they will advance new ideas based on contact with customers, prospects, and stakeholders within the Wi-Fi ecosystem. They will work with the best technical and marketing talent in Wi-Fi Alliance member companies, driving industry-visible efforts that support the mission of connecting everyone and everything, everywhere.
- Act as the “voice of the market” from the outside-in to the rest of the organization by understanding and regularly communicating Wi-Fi industry macro trends and segment-specific problems.
- Analyze market segments and collaborate with leadership to choose the best ones to pursue.
- Create, organize, and manage user stories and requirements for current and future products based on the market’s problems to drive new product definition.
- Manage the entire product life cycle from ideation, product proposal and approval, prototyping and validating new features/products and ideas, and commercialization through end-of-life.
- Develop a portfolio strategy to create and manage product roadmaps that illustrate our vision and plan into the future.
- Maintain a business proposal that makes a compelling case for continued investment into assigned products.
- Collaborate with other stakeholders such as product marketing on positioning of products.
- Drive buy-build-partner analysis, and where necessary, support development of strategic partner relationships for the product.
- Know why we are winning and losing in the market, and drive changes to our product and processes to create improvement.
- Keep a finger on the pulse of our competition and develop strategies and tactics to win in the market.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or engineering (engineering preferred; MBA preferred)
- Minimum of five (5) years of marketing, development, sales or product management experience
- Minimum of two (2) years of product management experience
- Track record of successful product ideation, commercialization, and go-to-market
- Track record of using qualitative and quantitative data to prioritize and drive decision-making
- Proficient in productivity applications such as Microsoft Office, Project, or Basecamp
- Comfortable using collaboration and CRM tools such as Microsoft Teams, JIRA, and Salesforce
- Experience with best-practice agile development and lean startup principles
Skills and Behaviors
- Tech-savvy and passionate about building products
- Strong collaboration, critical thinking, and business strategy skills
- High aptitude for listening and understanding customer/market problems and the ability to help formulate solutions
- Deep understanding of technical and commercial practices in wireless protocol testing a strong plus
- Metrics-driven: Strong analytical and synthesis skills are a must, including the ability to absorb and process data into actionable information
- Curious and comfortable holding professional conversations with our target buyers and users
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including speaking to public or senior audiences
- Excellent people and management skills to interact with colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties
- Highly ethical, adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values
- Results-oriented and embraces small company environment (no job too big or too small)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with multiple international cultures
- Ability to travel, including internationally, (25%)
- Ability to work more than 40 hours weekly as needed
- Ability to work evening hours, weekend hours and holidays as needed
Competitive compensation and benchmark benefits package, including 100% employee paid healthcare premiums, 401K matching, generous PTO, and fitness allowance. Wi-Fi Alliance staff travel all over the world to engage with members, partners, and government – a unique opportunity to gain international experience and witness the global impact of Wi-Fi.
If you have the talent and skills to be incredibly successful as a Product Manager and as a member of our team, we want to hear from you .To be considered for this role, please forward your resume and a cover letter outlining your interest, including your salary requirements, to email@example.com .This position is located in Austin, Texas, no relocation is available .To learn more about Wi-Fi Alliance, please visit our website at www.wi-fi.org .Wi-Fi Alliance participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.