Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Voice Programs
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ Voice-Enterprise: Voice quality and bandwidth management tools for the enterprise
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Voice-Enterprise defines the requirements for enterprise-grade voice quality, mobility, power saving and security. The Voice-Enterprise program is designed to meet the needs of enterprise networks that are larger in size, require support for advanced WPA2™-Enterprise security mechanisms, support fast transitions between APs and management tools for voice applications.
The Voice-Enterprise program requires certification for WMM®-Admission Control, providing bandwidth management tools for optimizing voice delivery. WMM-Admission Control manages traffic streams depending on the availability of network resources, taking into account network load and channel conditions.
With the Wi-Fi Voice-Personal certification program as a foundation, Voice-Enterprise certification testing adds support for mobility within large Wi-Fi networks. It leverages the Wi-Fi Multimedia™ (WMM), WMM-Power Save, and WMM-Admission Control certification programs for quality of service (QoS), the enterprise-grade security provided by Wi-Fi Protected Access® 2 (WPA2) Enterprise, plus radio resource measurement, fast basic service set (BSS) transition, and wireless network management features.
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Voice-Personal
Wi‑Fi CERTIFIED Voice-Personal tests the performance of voice applications under real-life conditions that include both voice and data traffic streams, in network configurations that are common in home and small office environments. To achieve certification, client devices and access points must perform above set thresholds for packet loss, latency and jitter, to help ensure good voice quality. To take advantage of the enhanced support for voice applications, both the client device and the access point must be Wi‑Fi CERTIFIED Voice-Personal.
- Wi-Fi® calling in the spotlight: Consumer, enterprise, and service provider benefits (2015)
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ Voice-Enterprise: Delivering Wi-Fi® voice to the enterprise (2012)
- The State of Wi-Fi® Security: Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ WPA2™ Delivers Advanced Security to Homes, Enterprises and Mobile Devices (2012)
- Delivering the Best User Experience with Voice over Wi-Fi (2008)
- Do devices with Voice-Enterprise work with legacy devices?
To benefit from Voice-Enterprise functionality, both the AP and client device need to be Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Voice-Enterprise. Any Wi-Fi CERTIFIED client devices in a Voice-Enterprise network that do not support Voice-Enterprise aree interoperable with other Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices, but do not take advantage of advanced features of voice quality and bandwidth management features of Voice-Enterprise.
- Does Voice-Enterprise test performance requirements?
Like Voice-Personal, the Voice-Enterprise certification program tests the performance of the Wi-Fi implementations in voice over Wi-Fi application, in a simulated network environment, with four (802.11b) or ten (802.11a/g/n) concurrent voice calls, a high speed video stream, and sustained data traffic loads, designed to represent a fully loaded network. To achieve certification, devices must meet the following thresholds:
- Packet loss of less than 1%
- No more than three consecutive lost packets
- Latency of less than 50 milliseconds
- Maximum jitter of less than 50 milliseconds
- How does WMM-Admission Control relate to the Voice-Enterprise program?
WMM-Admission Control certification is required for the Voice-Enterprise certification program.
- Are Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products protected by security?
Yes. All Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products are tested for the latest generation of Wi-Fi security: WPA2 (Wi-Fi Protected Access 2). The only way to be sure that product meets these standards is to only purchase Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products.
- How does Wi-Fi Alliance help ensure product compatibility and a good user experience for certified products?
Compatibility and quality are achieved through rigorous testing of Wi-Fi products. Consumers should always look for the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED logo to ensure the best user experience possible.