Wi-Fi Easy Connect
Simple, secure connection of Wi-Fi® devices
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Easy Connect™ reduces complexity and enhances the user experience of connecting devices to Wi-Fi® networks, while simultaneously incorporating the highest security standards. Configuring devices, including those without a rich user interface, is now as simple as scanning the product QR code or NFC tag to enable use on a Wi-Fi network.
Wi-Fi Easy Connect™ introduces standardized mechanisms to simplify the provisioning and configuration of Wi-Fi devices. Wi-Fi Easy Connect incorporates strong encryption through public key cryptography to ensure networks remain secure as new devices are added.
Wi-Fi Easy Connect technology raises the bar in providing secure network access with unprecedented ease of use.
- Provides a standardized, consistent method for onboarding devices
- Simplifies device configuration through use of QR codes or NFC tags and user-chosen configurator, such as a smartphone or tablet, to manage network access
- Works for any Wi-Fi Easy Connect device, including those with little or no user interface, such as smart home and IoT products
- Improves network management through reconfiguration and support for multiple configurators
- Uses public key cryptography for secure authentication
- Supports provisioning for WPA2™ and WPA3™ networks
- Enables enrollment of devices using public key identity where the identity of the device enrollment is conveyed via an out-of-band mechanism, such as NFC
- Enables the replacement of APs without the need to re-enroll all devices to the new AP
- Allows multiple devices to be configured prior to deployment on a Wi-Fi network using presence announcement
- Supports enterprise provisioning, making use of WPA3-Enterprise security
Improved user experience in managing Wi-Fi networks
With Wi-Fi Easy Connect, a network owner chooses one device as the central point of configuration. Usually this device is one with a rich user interface, such as a smartphone or tablet, but could be any device capable of scanning a quick response (QR) code or NFC tag and running the protocol developed by Wi-Fi Alliance. The chosen device is considered a configurator and all other devices are enrollees. The user establishes a secure connection to an enrollee device by scanning the device-specific QR code, NFC tag, or entering a human-readable string associated with that device. This prompts the protocol to run and automatically provisions the enrollee with the credentials needed to access the network.
Wi-Fi Easy Connect brings simplicity, consistency, and flexibility to Wi-Fi network management.
- Simple and intuitive to use; no lengthy instructions to follow for new device setup
- No need to remember and enter passwords into the device being provisioned
- Works with electronic or printed QR codes, NFC tags, or human-readable strings
|CES 2019: Next generation Wi-Fi® front and center|
|Wi-Fi® delivers the future of connectivity|
|Let’s talk about new wireless security certifications|
- Do devices using Wi-Fi Easy Connect need to be manually reconfigured when there is a change to a network?
No. Wi-Fi Easy Connect allows for a device to systematically discover and re-engage in the configuration process with the configurator to receive updated network configuration information. This is especially useful for IoT devices with a limited user interface (UI) or where a device may be installed in a hard-to-reach location.
- Does Wi-Fi Easy Connect support enterprise applications with higher levels of security?
Yes, Wi-Fi Easy Connect supports enterprise provisioning using WPA3-Enterprise security, requiring EAP-TLS authentication. When using EAP-TLS, clients and servers mutually authenticate using X.509 certificates. With Wi-Fi Easy Connect, the enrollee should receive its certificate when provisioning occurs.
- Can there be more than one configurator on a network?
Yes, Wi-Fi Easy Connect supports multiple configurators on a network. One advantage of multiple configurators is for backup and restore of a network. If one of the configurators is not available, another can be used to configure new devices and maintain configuration of the current network.
- Does the technology work with Wi-Fi EasyMesh, or other multiple access point Wi-Fi systems?
Yes, Wi-Fi Easy Connect can be used to provision clients to establish secure communications with Wi-Fi EasyMesh access points.
- What if a home or office has more than one network?
If the home or office uses a single access point to provide more than one network, Wi-Fi Easy Connect can be used to add one or more networks on the access point. The Wi-Fi Easy Connect protocol would need to be run independently to add each network.
- Can the same device be a configurator for more than one network?
Yes, the configurator software can be implemented on a device to provide provisioning for more than one logical network.
- Is there a limit to how many devices one can configure at a time using Wi-Fi Easy Connect?
There is no limit to the number of devices a configurator may provision for a network, unless the network itself has connection limitations. Additionally, Wi-Fi Easy Connect enables bulk enrollment of Wi-Fi devices.