Accurate indoor location with Wi-Fi® connectivity
Location is inextricably linked with mobility. Consumers want to know where they are and what is around them, whether indoors or outside. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Location™ delivers meter-level accuracy indoors. Wi-Fi Location-enabled networks and devices work together to deliver accurate location information with the benefits of Wi-Fi connectivity and without the need for separate, location-based infrastructure or costly maintenance.
Wi-Fi Location-enabled devices help network managers, operating systems developers, and applications developers deliver enhanced location data-driven apps and services. Wi-Fi Location certification ensures standards-based interoperability of devices so that developers can provide users the same experiences indoors as they have come to expect outside.
Location beyond navigation
Wi-Fi Location allows self-locating APs to establish accurate indoor locations and enable 6 GHz standard power applications. By using FTM Range Request and Report, client devices can determine their location relative to the broadcasting APs without sharing any information, thus providing great accuracy without compromising privacy. Wi-Fi Location not only improves the accuracy of location data for navigation purposes, it enables the creation of new, feature-rich applications and services. Wi-Fi is pervasive and it is easy to leverage the existing network infrastructure without additional equipment to enable accurate indoor location. Wi-Fi Location benefits industrial, enterprise, retail, and healthcare markets through:
- Indoor navigation: Wi-Fi Location is accurate to below one meter and provides several updates per second
- Asset management: Tracking high-value mobile equipment
- Network management: Pinpointing where troubleshooting and maintenance is needed
- Geo-fencing: Creating virtual perimeters that trigger actions when devices move in or out of the boundary
- Self-locating APs: Wi-Fi Location allows self-locating APs to establish accurate indoor locations and enable 6 GHz standard power applications
- Emergency services: Wi-Fi Location’s ability to locate using civic address as well as floor number has the potential to aid emergency service response time