Wi-Fi Home Design
Integrated, complete Wi-Fi® coverage for the home
Wi-Fi® in the home has evolved from amenity to expected utility. An enabling platform for a growing number of smart home products and systems, Wi-Fi brings connectivity that is an essential part of life at home. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Home Design™ is a certification program from Wi-Fi Alliance® that enables builders, service providers, and network designers to offer built-in Wi-Fi networks with comprehensive coverage throughout single-family and multi-dwelling complexes, all while minimizing interference from other nearby Wi-Fi networks.
Residents moving into a home trust that the electricity and lighting work once service is established. Wi-Fi Home Design™ brings this same assurance of quality to Wi-Fi home networks. Wi-Fi Home Design plans integrate professionally designed Wi-Fi networks directly into residential building floor plans and network designs. Each floor plan is specially created to provide whole home coverage based on the residence size, number of levels, neighboring networks, and wall composition. Utilizing high quality, dual band Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ equipment and professional installation, Wi-Fi Home Design plans bring comprehensive, high-performance Wi-Fi networks into homes, condominiums, apartments, townhomes, duplexes, and planned communities.
Turnkey, future-proof residential Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi Home Design not only enables builders, engineering design firms, and home internet service providers to differentiate their product offering, it ultimately gives home owners, renters, and occupants of multi-family residences convenience, peace of mind, and exceptional user experience.
For new residences, there is no need to purchase and install Wi-Fi access points after the home or building is built: Wi-Fi Home Design networks are move-in ready from day one. For both new and existing residences, Wi-Fi Home Design networks contain Wi-Fi CERTIFIED equipment which is optimized to allow for a growing array of future smart home devices and systems.
Wi-Fi Home Design networks deliver:
- Whole home coverage: Optimal placement of access points based on home specifications enable reliable, consistent coverage regardless of location on site, including balconies, patios, decks, and adjacent outdoor areas.
- Exceptional user experience: Utilizing the latest dual band Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ equipment, Wi-Fi Home Design networks easily accommodate a wide variety of traffic demands – from 4K video streaming to intense online gaming – simultaneously.
- Long lasting satisfaction: Wi-Fi Home Design networks consider future growth in connected life and Wi-Fi usage over time, allowing a growing array of smart living devices and systems to be easily implemented in the home.
|Wi-Fi Alliance® expands Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Home Design™|
|Wi-Fi® in 2019|
|CES 2019: Next generation Wi-Fi® front and center|
|Wi-Fi Home Design single-family floor plans|
|Wi-Fi Home Design multi-family floor plans|
- Why has Wi-Fi Alliance created a home certification?
Home Wi-Fi is a necessity. Builders are pre-installing Wi-Fi into new homes and internet service providers are ready to improve their home Wi-Fi offering. Wi-Fi Alliance worked with the home building community to create a program that ensures Wi-Fi installations provide homes and multi-family buildings with reliable, consistent coverage and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED equipment to provide a turnkey, high-performance Wi-Fi experience.
- What types of homes are this certification for?
The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Home Design certification is for single-family detached homes and multi-family buildings, also known as multi-dwelling units, such as condominiums, townhomes, and apartment buildings. The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Home Design certification may be submitted by a builder at the new construction phase or added by a service provider or network installer at a later date.
- How does this program avoid interference from other nearby networks?
In multi-family residences, interference is minimized through channel assignments and optimization of transmission signal power during the design stage – prior to installation. Radio frequency analysis from room-to-room and unit-to-unit ensures maximum performance with minimal interference.
- What is the process for getting a floor plan certified?
For builders and Wi-Fi network installers to certify their design offerings:
- Join Wi-Fi Alliance. Members at the Contributor level may receive Wi-Fi Home Design certification.
- Follow the Wi-Fi Home Design program guidelines, which are available to members.
- Submit all required information to Wi-Fi Alliance.
- Once all program requirements are met and verified, the vendor’s floor plan receives certification.
- For single-family homes, each floor plan receives a separate and unique certification based upon that plan meeting the program’s requirements. For multi-dwelling buildings, the entire building must meet Wi-Fi Home Design requirements.
- Program guidelines require that the member collect and submit a package of information describing specific information about the home network design associated with each floor plan. Information includes, but is not limited to:
- Number and type of access points to be deployed
- Site survey of the entire floor plan
- Equipment list, and other information as appropriate
- Will my existing router work with a Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Home Design home?
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Home Design homes and multi-family residences contain pre-installed, high-performance Wi-Fi CERTIFIED APs. Wi-Fi Home Design plans integrate the most recent technology available to provide a successful Wi-Fi experience.